Friday, June 12, 2020

A Day in the Life

At West 86th Street Subway Station

Empty Platform

Chelsea Yard

Time Square
Three months into the lockdown. The country is as crazy as it was when last I posted. Today I took the subway for the first time in three months. That seemed a big deal, but what surprised me was the effect of walking around in a different neighborhood, Chelsea, for a while before meeting my friend Peter. My brain felt as if I had just had a big dose of B12 or some other power vitamin. The streets with their well-tended townhouses are of course lovely, but it was a beautiful day and such a delight to be looking so intently at the new sights. I stopped to shop at Eataly before coming home. Crossing Sixth Avenue on the way to the subway afterward, I caught an M5 bus. How good is that, I thought: sixty blocks, including traveling through busy midtown, before I would reach home, but I had an novel with me and sat happily reading, until suddenly the bus turned east on 44th Street: end of the line. So, I hoofed it to Times Square to catch the subway. All the bright lights were there, but hardly any people. I passed a group of cops and thanked them as I passed. They were so pleased!

Herewith some pictures of my day.




Times Square Station at Rush Hour



No comments:

Post a Comment