Saturday, July 9, 2016

The Paradox of Love, 3

Picasso, Homme et femme (1971)
Lovers give each other not only their bodies, their pleasures, their mutual talents, but also "a history unlike any other that will bind them together, even if they have to part." This is, again, Pascal Bruckner. I was becoming a little restless with his discussion of the insecurities of love in the modern world. In the last page of chapter 3, however, he finally writes of the joys of the couple. Here is my favorite part:

"The virtue of living in a couple: indulgence. Being accepted as I am, with my weaknesses ... Being able to ignore my image, whereas outside, in society, I constantly have to prove myself. ... Life in a couple is routine, but a happy routine, a promise of security. The sweetness of familiar things, the pleasure of having the beloved at one's side every evening."

The painting here by Picasso is one I saw at the Vancouver Art Gallery during my recent stopover in that city. My friend Herb and I went to the exhibit there of Picasso's "muses," and the portrait here is of the artist with his last wife. The label's description reminds me of what happens with couples: "The woman and the man appear to be morphing into one another." Rick used to say to me that if we lived to be 150 we would be just alike.

Picture credit: Tout Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment